22 November 2005

Blogger Background: Chris

I started out like everyone else, some white zinfadel or a wine cooler every now and then. Eventually I moved on to Merlot and the very occasional desert wine.

Under the tutelage of some wine-loving friends, my wife and I began to widen our repertoire and added some whites to our collection. My wife took to Chardonnay, though I never have (I still have no love for oaked chards). We learned some of the basics of swirling and tasting and such.

After a trip to Italy, my wife and I both came back addicted to reds. Chianti, cab franc, cab sauv, shiraz, etc.

Since then, we've come around to a mix of whites and reds; I can't stand white zin anymore; and I actually know what a wine's finish is. I can even tell what varietal I'm drinking some of the time.

I'd place myself as a beginner to amateur wino. I'm only beginning to learn how to do my own pairings; I can pick out certain flavors and scents, but not all; my terminology is still a mish-mash of logic and imitation; and I've seen Sideways.

Most of my education has been from friends, experimentation, occasional articles, and the TV series "Thirsty Traveler" & "Simply Wine."

I still tend towards reds and desert wines. My favorites are Cabernet Sauvignon, Chianti Classico, Australian Shiraz and Niagara Icewine (with a slight preference for Vidal Icewine).

So, that's where I stand on wine.

No comments: